Your body needs the proper fuel before you run a 5k. The more time there is before the race begins, the more calories you should consume. If you’re eating about one- two hours before your race, consider the following:
- trail mix with dried fruit
- a bagel with peanut butter
- a bowl of cereal with milk
- almond butter/honey/banana roll up
- instant oatmeal
- plain non-fat greek yogurt
- hummus with veggies
If you’re eating approximately 30 minutes before your race, consider the following:
- a piece of toast with jelly
- granola bar
- one serving of cereal and one cup of grapes.
Remember, what your stomach will tolerate will be primarily decided by what you choose to consume. It’s wise to practice race-day foods during training to be sure those food choices work best for you.